Harvey Weinstein out on bail after pleading not guilty to sex assault charges

Sex assault accusations involving third girl were added to previous accusation but solicitor Brafman articulates: Today we won this round

Harvey Weinstein appeared in tribunal in New York on Monday, to plead not guilty to costs including 2 counts of predatory sexual abuse, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

The film producer was released on bail. His lawyer supposed more charges were expected.

Weinstein was brought into the Manhattan courtroom handcuffed from behind, then uncuffed for the proceedings. His solicitor Benjamin Brafman argued “there werent” proof the 66 -year-old Weinstein would flee.

” We fight these battles one day at a time, and today we won this round ,” Brafman mentioned outside court.

A grand jury previously indicted Weinstein on accuses involving two women. The accusations answered on Monday concern an alleged forcible sex act performed on a third female, in 2006.

The Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus Vance Jr, has said Weinstein was charged with” some of the most serious sexual offenses” that exist under nation law.

Sign up to receive the top US narratives every morning

Brafman has said his client retains all the allegations are false and he will be vindicated.

More than 75 females have accused Weinstein, once one of the stronger humankinds in Hollywood, of wrongdoing. Allegations detailed in Pulitzer Prize-winning stories last October in the New York Times and the New Yorker drove the #MeToo movement.

Several performers and frameworks accused Weinstein of criminal sex crime. They include: the movie performer Rose McGowan, who announced Weinstein raped her in 1997 in Utah; the Sopranos actor Annabella Sciorra, who said he raped her in her New York apartment in 1992; and the Norwegian actor Natassia Malthe, who said he attacked her in a London hotel room in 2008.

A former Weinstein Company production assistant, Mimi Haleyi, last-place October made allegations against Weinstein that align with the charges in the updated indictment.

Haleyi mentioned Weinstein forcibly performed oral sex on her in 2006 in what appeared to be a child’s bedroom in his Manhattan apartment. Neither the district attorney’s office nor Haleyi’s attorney, Gloria Allred, would confirm that Haleyi was the accuser in the new charges.

New York police said in early November that they were investigating allegations by another Weinstein accuser, the Boardwalk Empire actor Paz de la Huerta, who told them in October that he had raped her twice in 2010.

Weinstein has denied all allegations of non-consensual sexuality, with his attorney objection the credibility of his accusers.

Vance advocated other accusers to come forward, articulating the investigation was continuing.

” If you are a survivor of the predatory insult with which Mr Weinstein is accused, there is still time to pursue justice ,” he articulated.

Read more: https :// www.theguardian.com/ film/ 2018/ jul/ 09/ harvey-weinstein-not-guilty-charges-third-woman-sexual-assault

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *